Business Communication

Business Communication

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

BP'S OIL SPIL

I was reading an article from the Washington Post about BP calling them self a green company, only to turn around and be responsible for a disastrous oil spill. Here is the link for the article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/05/AR2010050505022.html?hpid=topnews

In the Washington Post article it tells how the company is trying to separate them self from the issue without denying responsibility. I thought to myself how do you do that? Then I went to BP's website and began to read and even watch a video clip done by their spokes person. Here is the link for the BP website.

http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055

The interesting thing or trick I should say that he did was when he spoke about the spill almost in third person. While the President and most other people call it the "BP Oil Spill"; BP on the other hand refers to it as the "Gulf of Mexico Response". Then there is a link for a video where the representative goes on to talk about all that they are doing to prevent this spill from getting worse and asking the public to judge them on their response and not the accident. I thought this was a creative strategy, but I still would not consider them to be a green company. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I feel that BP is creating a bad name for the company. However I still would go and get gas from them because I feel that it isn't even about the gas anymore. They are "experimenting" the oil clean up by using a toxic chemical that could potentially harm our environment including animals and wildlife. To me that is not being green at all. No gas company could really be green. BP has cut down on carbon emission and installed wind and solar power panels but all of that does not compare to what they are doing now. Instead of just trying to get the spill cleaned up and apologizing for this terrible accident, they are not only experimenting, but using toxic chemicals in the meantime. The spill has reached Louisiana and is starting to affect them as well. BP needs to get it cleaned up as soon as possible and stop trying to point the finger at anyone they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my page. I was actually just watching CNN last night and they were talking about BP's lack of communication with the government in reference to what they are doing to clean this up and how much damage are they projecting this will cause. I think the government needs to put more fire under their butts to get them communicating the way they should be with such a serious matter at hand. I did just learn about the chemicals that they are using to help clean the oil but are just as toxic for the environment and wildlife. I just pray that someone is able to find a solution quickly because some of these southern states are suffering enough already in some areas, and with these people not being able to fish how will they be able to provide for their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that BP would have preserved at least a little good will if they had done more in terms of hazard control and aiding relief efforts. This encounter sets a tone for the oil industry in general who constantly violate drilling regulations and safety restrictions in the name of profit.

    ReplyDelete